At Thakker & Co we pride ourselves in providing our clients with a personal, efficient and friendly service. All our personnel are very approachable and understand and appreciate the importance of the transaction to you. We are whenever necessary available to speak to you on the telephone or to meet with you. A Senior Solicitor and a partner of the firm supported by a very efficient Trainee Solicitor and a Secretary will be responsible for your matter.
Our charges for probate work
We set out below, our fees/charges to act for you for gathering information of assets and liabilities, preparing Inland Revenue accounts and applying for Grant and collecting and distributing the assets.
The costs depends on the individual circumstances of the matter. In matters where:-
- There is a valid will
- There are no more than 2 executors
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 5 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are 1 to 4 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no clams made against the estate
Our charges will be on time spent basis and this will be at the rate of £250.00 per hour plus VAT thereon. We anticipate this would take between 3 to 6 hours of work. Thus the total costs is estimated at £750 plus VAT to £1,500 plus VAT plus disbursements listed below totalling £339.63. The inclusive total amount being in the range of £1,240 to £2,140
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts costs will be at the higher end.
We will handle the full process for you.
Disbursements included in the above fee are:
- Probate application fee of £155.00
- Swearing of the oath & exhibit £14.00 assuming two executors
- Post in the local newspapers £163.63 – protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors and claims
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Potential additional costs
- If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will costs £0.50p
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of the property in the estate is not included.
As part of our fee we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 4 to 9 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 6 to 10 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 2 to 4 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes a further 2 to 4 weeks.